Visitors to this site:

Saturday, April 14, 2018

D Day +1, Uh Oh

Well, we got off to a great start.  Left Heyburn, ID before 8am and got going on I-84 east. We had the change yesterday to Mountain time, so we lost an hour but we were pretty alert, all things considered.  About the time we crossed from Utah into Wyoming, we started picking up some wind and scattered snow blowing.  

I was using an app on my phone called "Waze" that my friend Doug Kretz put me on to.  It is a gps navigation program and users update highway conditions as well as the location of the cops!  It has many features and I highly recommend it.  When I connect my phone to the car via USB, the Waze screen is shown on my dash screen which is much bigger and also integrates to all the car features.  Truly a great app to have if your car can run Android Auto.

Well, we were about 100 miles west of Laramie, WY, on I-80 when all of a sudden, Waze changed the routing and added a diversion of about 75 miles!  It did flash a warning, but I was busy passing a truck or two and could not focus on it.  Anyway, Carol started researching what, if any, the problem was and she found out that I-80 was totally closed after Laramie.  Waze was rerouting us the best way it could to get to Cheyenne.

Of course, that was some extra mileage that we really didn't need as our overall goal was to get to Red Bay, AL.  So we did some fast checking and decided to go to Fort Collins, CO instead for the night.  We got there late like about 8:30.  Had to drive slower due to the strong winds.  Idaho, Utah, Wyoming all have mostly 80mph speed limits, so I was making good time until the weather hit.  Then I had to slow down to keep the car on the road.

We did go out to a nice dinner at a place called Char Broiler.  I had a club sirloin which was really good.  Didn't fall asleep until 11:30!  Still adjusting to that lost hour I guess.

No comments: