Visitors to this site:

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Odds and Ends in SoCal

Our days here in Riverside are coming to a close quickly.  We are only allowed to stay in this park 14 days per year, and on Monday our days are up so we will be heading to Bakersfield.

Thursday we went on a long ride, first to Temecula.  They have a “Old Town” section that is good for a walk.  Carol's blog has a good write-up with pictures of Old Town so be sure to check it out.

While walking in the main street of old town, I noticed the electric meter boxes in the ground.  Not so odd, but each was accompanied by a box labeled “sound.”

IMG_20131226_110317_835[1]

Turns out that every lamp post in the area has two or more speakers on it and they are all centrally sourced.  While we were there, they had Christmas music playing.  It was not too loud and definitely added to the experience.

Yesterday morning we went on a 10 mile bike ride on one of the bike paths that go by Mount Rubidoux.  For this jaunt, we went east towards San Bernardino.  The path actually goes into that city but we turned around before going all the way.  I would guess the entire distance would have been about 24 miles round trip – a bit much for us.

I was having major problems with the trigger switch for my Hill Topper on my bike. So I went in search of a solution to replace the switch with a better one.

I used to go to an electronics store in Riverside (Riverside Electronics Warehouse) and they had everything there you could want for an electronic project.  But that was 25+ years ago and I haven’t found a similar place at home in Vancouver.  (Radio Shack just doesn’t cut it).

But I found that the store is still in business and they still have everything you could ever want.  So I found the perfect switch and bought it.

I had to drill a hole in the handlebar to run the wires inside up to the end of the pipe where the new switch fits into.  After soldering the ends on, it was all set to test out.  It passed with flying colors.  So soon I shall have to try it out on a ride now.

Today we had to change spots for our last two days here.  These long drives of over 400’ just wear me out so I had to take a nap after lunch!

Tonight we went to dinner out at Steer and Stein.  It is a small chain in the area with spots in Rancho Cucamonga, Moreno Valley, Hemet, and Palmdale.  The food is great and the prices are reasonable – just like I remembered from years ago.  Sure wish they had them up in Vancouver at home!

IMG_20131228_183128_658[1]

So readers, where do you think the above words are to be found?????  Send in your answer via comment to this post.

4 comments:

Donna K said...

Location: on the men's restroom door?? Just kidding, most likely where you wait to be seated.

JWB2 said...

The seat closest to the steak sauce?

Raider Dave said...

JWB2 - you are warm.....but where specifically would you see this?

Raider Dave said...

JWB2 - you are warm.....but where specifically would you see this?