Visitors to this site:

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

On Comet……

COMET UPDATE:  3/12/13  9:00pm

We saw the comet Pan-STARRS tonight right where it was supposed to be to the left of the moon and slightly lower. It was barley visible to the naked eye but came in pretty clear in my binoculars.

comet

The above image was not taken by me, but it is an actual image of Pan-STARRS taken earlier this year.  In the binoculars, it looked just like the picture above though I did not see all the background stars.

The first comet I ever saw was in the summer of 1956 or 1957 (I forget which).  I do remember it was called Mrkos which I always thought was a funny name – sort of like Mr. Kos.  I was only 7 or 8 then and I didn’t know much about foreign names.  That comet was exceptionally bright and easily visible for many summer nights as us kids played outside.  It is what first got me interested in astronomy.  So seeing Pan-STARRS brought back memories.

4 comments:

Cj Cozygirl said...

Read about the comet appearing - lucky for you to get to see it, let alone getting a photo of it! SWEET!

Russ Krecklow said...

Neat that you saw it so well through your binoculars. That means that there was no cloud cover, sweet! Love the night sky, and it's always fun to be able to see both new and familiar things up there.

Donna K said...

The only comet I have seen is the kind you use to scrub the kitchen sink! Glad you had a good sighting with clear skies. you guys travel safe coming home.

meowmomma said...

Cool! Glad you got to see it! The meteorologist just mentioned it tonight... first I had heard about it.