Visitors to this site:

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Santa Maria or Bust!

OK, we choose bust.  I’ll explain in a minute.

Yesterday, MLK Day, is interesting….I can’t remember what we did!  I remember some things….we had leftovers for dinner, I worked on cleaning my tow bar (more about that later), but why can’t I remember what we did for exercise???  I think retirement must be getting to me.

Let’s see…I know I didn’t play golf, I know we didn’t ride bikes.  And I know whatever it was, I did it with Carol.  I give up, and I will ask Carol….

Oh, good.  It took her a minute to remember too.  Maybe I’m off the hook.  Anyway, what we did was to play 30 minutes or so of Pickle Ball.  Pickle Ball is played with large wooden paddles, about 2.5 times the size of a ping pong paddle and plastic balls about the size of a softball.  You use a net like a tennis court and hit the ball back and forth across the net.  The official pickle ball courts are about half the size of a tennis court in each direction.  We used a tennis court at a local park and just rallied back and forth, not keeping score.  There are actually official pickle ball courts in some places like St. George, UT, but not around here.  So we made do with what was available.

After lunch, I went to work on cleaning our towing equipment.  Some of the metal parts had gathered rust and the locking pins were getting stuck.  I bought some black Rustoleum paint, some Corrosion X lubricant to clean the metal, some Brillo pads to clean rust and a wire brush to get the majority of it.  It took about an hour all told and then I spray painted the black parts to look really good. Hopefully it will hold up over time.

Today we drove to Santa Maria again.  Carol wanted to go to Wal-Mart to get some thread, then to the library there to get the next few books in the series she is reading.  After that we went to Costco to get some of their hot dogs for a quick lunch and then to go on a bike ride.

Carol had scouted out a loop trail for us to ride, but it was along some fairly major roads and significant parts of the ride would not have been in bike lanes.  So we tried to find a local park and just use it as a base to explore neighborhoods.  We checked out three parks but none of the areas looked real appealing, so Santa Maria was a bust and we came back to Pismo Beach.

Here we rode around the RV park and the adjacent state park next door for a 6 mile ride.  During the ride, Carol’s Hilltopper became stuck in the on position and would not shutoff.  So that limited our ride plus the wind stared getting fairly strong.  During the ride, I heard a loud airplane noise like a biplane would make and noticed several park residents looking up into the sky.  I stopped and looked up and saw this blimp cruising by.  It was about 25% of the size of a Goodyear blimp.  No idea where it came from or where it was going.

2012-01-17 14.39.48

It got away before I could get my phone ready to take a picture so it appears farther away than it really was.

When we returned, I went to work trying to figure out the problem with Carol’s bike.  It seemed that the dead man on-off switch was stuck.  But when I put my meter on it, it worked fine.  So the short had to be somewhere else.  I finally found some corrosion in the cable connector and used to contact cleaner to clear that out.  Then took it for a test ride and didn’t have any more problem with it.  Hopefully that is fixed.

Tomorrow, I hope to play golf if the wind dies down.  Our temps have been in the low to mid 60s the past couple of days and last night and tonight the low is in the mid 30s.  But tomorrow it should warm up again and our lows will be in the mid 40s.  However the weekend our forecast is for some rain.  We will see if that develops.

2 comments:

Donna K said...

Sounds like you had an interesting day even if Santa Maria was a bust. The blimp must have been an unusual sight.

Tim said...

Might be an RC? Looks pretty small to be manned.