Visitors to this site:

Thursday, July 7, 2011

I will huff and I will puff and I will blow…….

Today got off to a very interesting start.  I normally use my Delorme GPS connected to my laptop to navigate while driving the RV.  It (usually) gives me great information on the best route and types of roads, etc.

Today it really blew it.  It said to go south on a road and eventually connect to US 395.   But after a mile or so turned to gravel but it was pretty good and smooth so I ventured a bit further.  The GPS said that the road was to continue straight.  But it didn’t instead the road shown on the map did not exist anymore in reality – it was a farmer’s field and he probably would not have been too happy with someone driving a large RV through his fence and field.  So we turned to follow another road that should have worked according to the GPS but it died too.  Fortunately I was just able to make a u-turn at a junction.  We returned back the way we came and navigated using the mark-1 eyeball.  That got us to US 395.

This route took us right through the middle of Spokane.  It was slow going through the traffic and the road work in the city.  Once we got on I-90, that too had road construction for the first 5-7 miles.  Once past that, we were free!

The route all the way to Kennewick was good, smooth, and fast pavement.  While driving outside of Kennewick, Carol’s WeatherBug app on her smartphone had an alert for strong winds and a cold front passing.  Just about as she said it, the wind started coming up and getting stronger.

We had wind with us all the last 100 miles or so.  The WeatherBug reported peak winds of 51mph which is pretty strong.  Strong enough that I had to slow down to about 50 or so.  Every time a truck passed me we really felt the backlash.

We arrived at Mayhill about 3pm and went to the state park.  Last night Carol checked it and saw 17 sites available, but when we arrived there were none.  So we went to Peach Beach which is right next door.  They had a site with water and electric, but no sewer.  To me, I was tired of fighting the wind so here we are!

Tomorrow we will drive the last 104 miles to home.  The winds are forecast to be just under 20mph which should be doable.  Just about time to start planning the next trip!

1 comment:

Russ Krecklow said...

Glad you're making it back o.k.
Those GPS units are sure great when you're in some place like LA, but sometimes leave a bit to be desired when in some other places a little less traveled. Glad your Mark 1 eyeball was working o.k.